The American Institute of Architects is the voice of the architecture profession, dedicated to serving its members, advancing their value, and improving the quality of the built environment. Membership gives you access to a vibrant network of professionals, an online selection of courses, opportunities to shape public policy issues important to the built community and critical business and career resources. Our global community shares a passion for design, a conviction it matters and commitment to improving lives through the built environment. The AIA offers the following categories of membership:
- Currently licensed to practice architecture in a U.S. State or Territory
- Proof of current license must be furnished to complete membership processing
- Architect Membership Application: HERE
Not licensed to practice architecture, but meet one of the following:
- Participate in career responsibilities recognized by licensing authorities as constituting credit toward licensure (i.e. interns)
- Work under the supervision of an architect in a professional or technical capacity
- Enrolled in the Intern Development Program (IDP) and working toward licensure
- Are a faculty member in a university program in architecture.
- Associate Membership Application: HERE
ASSOCIATE – NEW GRADUATES
Accredited degree holders:
- Graduates are offered complimentary AIA membership for up to 18 months.
- Eligible are individuals who graduated from an NAAB accredited program within the past 18 months or those working under the supervision of an architect
- Accredited degree holders find your institution and degree for eligibility: HERE
- Accredited degree holders can apply for new membership: HERE
Non-accredited degree holders or individuals enrolled in an AXP (formerly IDP) program working under an architect’s supervision
- Currently working under the supervision of an architect in a professional or technical capacity directely related to the practice of architecture, and
- Recently graduated with a non-NAAB Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate degree within approximately the past 1-18 months, or
- Currently work under the supervision of an architect in a professional or technical capacity directly related to the practice of architecture, and
- Currently enrolled or participating in circumstances recognized by licensing authorities as constituting credit towards architectural licensure.
- Non-NAAB degree holders find your institution and degree eligibility: HERE
- Non-NAAB degree holders must complete the PDF application: HERE
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATE MEMBER
- Holder of an architecture license or equivalent from a non-U.S. licensing authority, but without license in the U.S.
- International Associate join online: HERE