The American Institute of Architects founded the AIA Shreveport Chapter on April 18, 1925. Our charter members of the chapter were Seymour Van Os, Clarence W. King, Edward F. Neild, J. Paul Annan, Samuel G. Wiener, J. O. Mitchell, and Henry E. Schwarz.
On March 15, 1933, the AIA Board of Directors resolved to transfer the following parishes from AIA Louisiana and place them under the jurisdiction of AIA Shreveport: Vernon, Rapides, Avoyelles, Sabine, Natchitoches, Grant, LaSalle, Catahoula, Concordia, De Soto, Red River, Madison, Winn, Caldwell, Franklin, Tensas, Richland, West Carroll, East Carroll, Morehouse, Ouachita, Union, Jackson, Lincoln, Bienville, Bossier, Webster, and Claiborne, effectively the north half of the state from Alexandria up. The transfer was made official on May 15, 1933, and the name of the chapter was changed to AIA North Louisiana.
Seeking more regional autonomy, members from Monroe and Shreveport sought to divide the North Louisiana Chapter. In May 1956, the AIA Board of Directors resolved that a charter be granted to the Monroe and Shreveport Chapters upon receipt and approval of the Chapter by-laws and formal application.
Today, AIA Shreveport is a volunteer led 501 (c) (6) non-profit professional association incorporated in Caddo Parish and an accredited component of AIA Louisiana.
The objectives of this Chapter are to promote and forward those objectives of The American Institute of Architects within the assigned territory of the Chapter. The Institute strives to: organize and unite in fellowship the members of the architectural profession; promote the aesthetic, scientific and practical efficiency of the profession; advance the science and art of planning and building by advancing the standards of architectural education, training and practice; coordinate the building industry and the profession of architecture; insure the advancement of the living standards of people through their improved environment; and to make the profession of ever-increasing service to society.